One of my favorite low carb dinner meals - stuffed eggplant.
I used minced beef but you can easily replace it with chicken, turkey, pork, or any other stuffing you prefer.
• 2 tbsp butter
• olive oil
• 2 eggplants
• 500 g minced beef
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
• 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 tbsp tomato puree
• handful of grated cheese for the topping
• Seasoning: Salt, pepper, hot chili powder, fresh thyme
• Preheat the oven to 200°C
• Wash and cut the eggplants In half. Using a spoon, remove the soft flesh leaving just a little on the sides and the bottom. Lightly oil and salt the eggplants and align them on parchment paper in the baking tray.
Bake for about 20 minutes.
• While the eggplants are baking, prepare the sauce.
Heat 2 tbsp butter in a non-stick skillet and sauté the onions on medium for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and diced eggplant middle and sauté for few more minutes until soft. Add the minced beef and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomato paste and seasoning and cook for about 3-5 more minutes, until the meat is cooked.
• Once eggplants are baked, remove them from the oven and using spoon stuff each half with prepared meat. Sprinkle with diced bell pepper and cheese and bake for about 7-10 minutes until the cheese melts.
• Once baked, leave to rest for about 5 minutes and drizzle with your favorite hot sauce
Yields: 4 halves
Per serving: 1
Calories: 473 I Net Carbs: 9 g I Total Carbs: 17 g I Fat: 35 g I Protein: 24 g
Made this recipe? We would love to see it!